Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
GRC logo


eLearning Student Website

Information for Students Living Out-of-State

Students Living Outside of Washington State

map of the united states with a green x on washington state

If you live in the U.S. but outside of the State of Washington, it is likely that you will be able to take classes at Green River College.

You can take classes if your state belongs to SARA (State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements) and, if your program leads to professional certification or licensure, Green River College meets the requirements in your state.

What is SARA and who participates?

Green River College is a member of SARA, an agreement among member states, districts, and territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education ( 

As an institution participating in SARA, Green River College can offer online courses to students residing in other states also participating in SARA. As of July 2020, California is the only state not participating in NC-SARA.

The National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) maintains a list of states, districts, and territories participating in SARA.

Programs Leading to Professional Certification or Licensure

Each state sets the requirements to receive a professional license in their state and determines whether or not an educational program meets their requirements. When professional certification or licensure is required for employment, Green River must indicate if their programs meet the requirements in each state, or if that has not yet been determined.

See Green River College's Professional Licensure disclosures..

Contact the eLearning Office if you have questions. 

Complaint Resolution

Complaint resolution for out-of-state students begins in the same way as for local students. 

  • To resolve complaints regarding instruction, such as a complaint about your grade, follow the Instructional Student Complaint Process
  • To file a complaint about misrepresentation of the nature of educational programs, financial charges, employability of graduates, etc., see the Consumer Protection Student Complaint Process through the State Board of Community and Technical Colleges, GRC’s governing body. 
  • Complaints about discrimination and/or harassment should be directed to the college’s Title IX Coordinator

Students who are unable to successfully resolve their complaint through Green River College’s complaint resolution process may file a complaint with the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC). The Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) has authority to investigate student complaints against specific schools. WSAC may not be able to investigate every student complaint. Visit theβ€―WSAC Student Complaints webpage for information regarding the WSAC complaint process. 

NC-SARA also maintains a list of state entities that govern the SARA agreement in each state.β€―Contact information for each state is available on their website. 

Green River College is accredited by The Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, which can also be contacted. 

For more information please email Green River's eLearning office