Sample Search for Books/ Book Chapters
Use the One Search and limit to BOOKS to find sources on your topic.
I suggest starting with one keyword or keyword phrase, and building your search as you assess your results each step of the way.
For this sample search:
- I started with the keyword "language". That was too general an idea, and I found over 16,000 books (once I limited to just books).
- I used the AND to add the keyword "identity," and that narrowed my search to just over 2,000 books.
- I clicked on a title that sounded like it might be relevant to learn more about it. I looked at the Subject Terms, the description, and the contents.
- I wrote down words on my topic that I hadn't thought of yet to try later as search terms.
- I click on any Subject Terms that look like they might take me to a list of relevant sources for my essay.
- I could try adding a third keyword or changing one of my keywords to a narrower identity.
- To find a book, I either use the call # to find it on the shelves or I click on View Online for ebooks.
Step 1 and 2:
Searched for language AND identity (Click on image to enlarge)
Clicked on a title to open the "record" to learn more about the book and decide if it looked useful!