Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Welcome to your research guide for JAPN 142 - Japanese Culture!
Research is a process.
Step 1: Understand your assignment
Step 2: Start with a general topic idea
- Read background information in Reference works and learn
- Ask questions
- Identify key concepts and key words
- Identify key issues and different points of view
- Refine and focus your topic
Step 3: Find information
- Use keywords to search for information in books, articles, and other sources
- Add to your keywords list: broader terms, narrower terms, related terms
- Use smart search strategies
Step 4: Evaluate
- Assess your information sources for authority and bias
- Are they good choices for your academic project?
Step 5: Cite Your Sources
- Cite your sources
- Summarize and evaluate your sources in an annotated bibliography