Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Why Use Background Info?
|Why Use Background Info
in Reference Books?
An overview of your broad topic area helps you understand...
- what the key issues are and how you may want to refine your topic
- who are the stakeholders (the groups or individuals this topic concerns)
- a context of how your topic relates to the other issues that surround it
- a historical perspective on your topic
- specialized vocabulary or search words that are used in your field (you will use these words for searches later in your research process)
Reference Books in Holman Library
Hardcopy Reference Books in the Holman Library
- Use these reference books in the library or photocopy or scan the sections you need
- Note: Subject Encyclopedias like the ones below (encyclopedias that specialize in a particular subject area) ARE ACCEPTABLE for the Anthro 210 Research Papers
- General encyclopedias (that cover a wide variety of subjects) like Britannica or World Book or Columbia Encyclopedia are NOT ACCEPTABLE
Digital Reference Books
Digital Reference Books Online - highly recommended!
- CLICK the library database links below to access digital reference books and subject encyclopedias
- FIRST try a broad search on your tribe, such as:
- THEN try narrower searches such as: