Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Use Background Info as a Starting Point
An overview of your broad topic area helps you understand...
- what the key issues are and how you may want to refine your topic
- who are the stakeholders (the groups or individuals this topic concerns)
- a context of how your topic relates to the other issues that surround it
- a historical perspective on your topic
- specialized vocabulary or search words that are used in your field (you will use these words for searches later in your research process)
Background Info in BUSINESS ENCYCLOPEDIAS
Start your research with background info from Business Encyclopedias:
Digital Reference Books
Digital Reference Books Online - highly recommended!
- CLICK the library database links below to access digital reference books and subject encyclopedias
- FIRST try a broad search on your topic, such as:
genetically modified foods
- THEN try narrower searches such as:
genetically modified foods nutrition
genetically modified foods famine
genetically modified foods economic development
Gale eBooks - Gale Virtual Reference Library (GVRL)
Search for authoritative information in subject encyclopedias selected for courses and programs at Green River College
Browse by topic or keyword to find information covering a broad range of important issues in health, social trends, criminal justice, international affairs, education, the environment, technology, and the economy. Weekly reports dating back to 1923.
Opposing Viewpoints in Context (Gale)
Full-text viewpoint essays, topic overviews, journal articles, news, and statistics. A great place to find evidence to support argumentative essays.
U.S. History in Context (Gale)
Full-text articles from scholarly journals, magazines, and newspapers, reference sources, primary documents, and selected websites.